Eating well is crucial for growing teenagers because their nutrient needs are higher during this time. Most teenagers do not meet the recommendations for whole grains and fruit and vegetable intake. Healthy eating can be difficult for teens because they are often spending time eating with friends, eating fast food and snacking on energy-dense foods and beverages. This eating pattern can lead to an excessive intake of calories, mostly from unhealthy fat and sugar, which increases the risk for obesity.
Healthy diet can help teenager to look good and stay healthy:
- Eating breakfast: Skipping breakfast does not help in losing weight, because essential nutrients might be missed out. A healthy breakfast is an important part of a balanced diet and provides some of the vitamins and minerals required for good health. Whole grain cereal with fruit sliced over the top is a tasty and healthy way to start the day.
- Aim to eat fruits and vegetables a day: Fruits and vegetables are sources of most of the vitamins and minerals which is essential for the body. Fresh fruit juice, smoothies and vegetables can help in balanced diet.
- At snack time, substitute foods that are high in saturated fat or sugars for healthier choices: Foods high in saturated fat include pies, processed meats such as sausages and bacon, biscuits and crisps. Foods high in added sugars include cakes and pastries, sweets, and chocolate. Too much saturated fat can also cause high cholesterol.
- Drink enough fluids: One should aim to drink at least six to eight glasses of fluids a day, water, unsweetened fruit juices (diluted with water) and milk are all healthy choices.
- Eating healthy food: Foods such as whole meal bread, beans, wholegrain breakfast cereals, fruit and vegetables. Such kind of foods are high in fibre are bulky and help us feel full for longer time.
- Being Underweight: Not eating a balanced diet or restricting food intake can lead to deficiency of important nutrients in the body. This can lead to weight loss. Being underweight can cause health problems, so if you’re underweight it’s important to gain weight but in a healthy way.
- Being Overweight: Foods rich in fat and sugar are high in calories, or eating too many calories can lead to weight gain. Try to eat lesser foods that are high in fat and sugar, such as swapping to low or no sugar fizzy drinks. A healthy balanced diet will provide you with all the nutrients your body needs.